Thursday, June 13, 2019

Algebra Tiles

Algebra Tiles

I am looking for ways to teach algebra concepts to students and still keep it fun and interesting.  From what I have observed in 6th grade math class, they lose a lot of the freedom that they had in the lower elementary grades.  I've also noticed that they lose the manipulatives that help them to make a deeper connection and understanding to the ideas behind the work.  So, in my research, I found algebra tiles.  The more I read about them, the more I wanted to know how they can be used in a 6th grade mathematics classroom.  So, here's a guide on how to use algebra tiles.

What are algebra tiles?

Algebra tiles are manipulatives that model algebraic operations.  


The yellow tile represents a +1



The red tile represents a -1


A combination of the two tiles are additive inverses and would cancel each other out.




The green rectangle represents the variable

The red rectangle represents the negative variable


             The combination of these two tiles are inverses also and they would cancel each other out.

The third shape is a set of larger squares.  I'll explain what they represent because they are included in a set of tiles, but I wouldn't need them for the mathematics that I would be teaching.

       

       The large blue and red squares represent perfect squares.

        The blue square tile is x² and the red square tile is -x².

        Again, they are inverse operations.



How to use the tiles


  • The single square tiles can be used like counting chips to model addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of integers.  
  • Model algebraic expressions
  • Model and solve algebraic equations
  • Model the distributive property with a variable
  • Model substitution with a variable
  • Model polynomials using x²

Internet Resources


National Council of Teachers of Mathematics:




Make your own tiles

There are plenty of companies that sell algebra tiles, but you can make your own.  There are ideas and templates available.  You can also customize the tiles and write 1, -1 and x on the tiles instead of remembering the meaning of the colors.  They can be made from card stock or 3 x 5 cards.  It might be a good project for students to make their own set.  Then they can have them whenever they need them or when a new concept is being taught.  
I saw a suggestion to make a large set that would adhere to a whiteboard.  Make them magnetic if you have a surface to work on.

Common Core Standard

CCLS - Math:  6.EE.2.c
Evaluate expressions at specific values of their variables. Include expressions that arise from formulas used in real-world problems. Perform arithmetic operations, including those involving whole- number exponents, in the conventional order when there are no parentheses to specify a particular order (Order of Operations).¹


Conclusion

Who would have thought that I would be excited about algebra tiles?  I would like to keep math fun and interesting beyond fourth grade.  From what I've seen, these types of strategies and supports are not used in 6th grade.  I like the way that mathematical ideas are being taught now.  I wasn't taught this way, but I wish I had been.  I really like the student centered approach and think I would have flourished in a math class that gave me a visual, hands-on way to learn the operations.


Sources



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jill! I really enjoyed your thoughtful post-especially the online resources and the make your own section since often teacher's resources are limited.-Marlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill! This was such an interesting post! I agree with your conclusion about how even in the upper grades, it's important that students can still feel like math is engaging and fun to them. I feel that I wasn't taught in that way either, and looking back, it didn't put me in the growth mindset that we've discussed in class. I think not only are lessons like this great for students in the short term, but they benefit in the overall long run as well. I was never great with algebra, so it was great to read over a lesson, and have a mini refresher!

    ReplyDelete